Whether you’re boozing it up with your squad this Fourth or engaging in a lil old-fashioned family fun, a good fireworks display never goes out of style. Fortunately for you all, San Diego has a number of fantastic vantage points from which to catch some of the finest shows in the area.
Here’s a handy list of some dope spots:
1. Annual Big Bay Boom
Time: 9:00 P.M.
This is the biggest show the county puts on. Four barges are stationed all around North San Diego Bay, meaning it’s possible to get ideal viewing conditions from a number of locations. We’ll break each down for you! Note also that it’s simulcast live via MAX FM 105.7 and THE MIGHTY 1090 AM.
- Shelter Island: A little segment of land on the bay front of Point Loma, this is a cozy lil spot to drop a few lawn chairs, kick back, and watch the big show. (2071 Shelter Island Drive, San Diego, CA 92106)
- Harbor Island: A sweet waterfront locale that’s not far removed from San Diego International Airport. Crack open a brew and drink in the festivities! (2040 Harbor Island Drive, San Diego, CA 92101)
- Seaport Village/Coronado Landing: There are a boatload of waterfront-based restaurants to grab dinner at prior to enjoying the Big Bay Boom delights, making it super convenient. (809 W Harbor Dr # A , San Diego, CA 92101)
- Embarcadero: Nestled behind the convention center, parking is plentiful at the Gaslamp Quarter and there are restaurants and shops at a walkable distance. (1325 Pacific Highway, San Diego, CA 92101)
- Imperial Beach Pier: Shops, restaurants, a pier, and a large, inviting stretch of sand to utilize for Independence Day shenanigans. A spot that’s as solid as any for reveling in the Big Bay Boom. (2 Elder Avenue, Imperial Beach, CA 91932)
2. SeaWorld San Diego’s “Into the Blue”
Location: 500 SeaWorld Dr, San Diego, CA 92109
Time: 10:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M. (Approx. fireworks start time: 9:40 P.M.)
San Diego’s bay serves as an apt backdrop to a sublime fireworks show—and during the day, you can take full advantage of all the water rides and attractions. When the show does start, it’s scheduled for a 15-minute duration complete with a soundtrack.
3. San Diego County Fair 4th of July Celebration
Location: Del Mar Fairgrounds, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd
Del Mar, CA 92014
Time: 10:00 AM - 11:00 P.M. (Fireworks at approx. 9:00 P.M)
Roller coasters, live music, fair food, and fireworks all wrapped into one!
4. Ocean Beach July 4th Celebration
Location: Ocean Beach Pier at the end of Newport Ave.
Time: 9:00 P.M.
You can make a full day of it at Ocean Beach—swimming, picnicking, and more. There’s ample parking at the Pier Parking Lot and Main Beach Parking Lot. However, if you’re getting rowdy elsewhere beforehand, ensure you’re in place at the OB Pier by 9:00 P.M. for fireworks.